Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hanukkah-Inspired Family Feast


We decided to have a Hanukkah dinner so I compiled a few recipes and created a perfect feast for a family of five. Going clockwise, the menu included Golden and Red Beet Soup (though, I can't find any golden beets at my local grocery stores this time of year, and our local farmer's market runs only until the end of October...thus, it is more like Red Beet Soup), Apple Fritters (these were superb), Matzo Balls (these are like tasty dumplings), Potato Latkes (this, in addition to the apple fritters, is customary during Hanukkah because fried foods are an important element to celebrating the tradition), Beet Greens sauteed in butter (I had these leftover from the beets I utilized and I thought we definitely needed some greens in the meal), and Roased Turkey (well, I cheated a little here....I bought one of those fresh roasted turkey breasts from the store). Anyone can put together a beautiful Jewish meal for the family. It is a great way to learn about this unique custom to actually observe the wonderful holiday of Hanukkah. Food and family gathering are are key experiences in learning about other cultures. One can simply perform an internet search for Hanukkah recipes or find a recipe book at the local library or at a book store. Lynx and I will be making Sufganiyot (basically jelly doughnuts) in a couple days, even though Hanukkah is now officially over this year. We are drawing it out a little longer.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails