Monday, February 1, 2010

Apple Sunday

Though we live in Apple Hill, 'tisn't the season for apples. That was a few months ago, but we were still inspired to have warm, fresh-cooked sweet apple tastiness. Since Sunday is our baking day, we decided to celebrate the wonderful essence of organic apples. Actually, it was quite funny because as we were driving toward our house on Friday I looked over at our 92-year-old neighbor's house thinking to myself that I needed to make him a pie, when about 1 second later Jaguar randomly bursted out with, "I want pie, Mom." Who says there isn't telekinesis?

This was the Organic Honey Apple Pie we made (we should have made hearts, but the fall leaf was the only cookie cutter I could find) just before we stuck it into the oven.

And here is the golden, flaky crust (though the pretty edges didn't remain so pretty) and sweet, warm, juicy filling of our final product fresh out of the oven. It was delicious! I recommend using honey instead of sugar because it is better for you, and also you should use less than the recipe calls for because apples have their own natural sugars that are superb when baked.

These are our apple fritters. It gives me an excuse to buy beer. Beer batter is so perfect for these greasy delights. I just thinly slice 2-3 organic apple. For the batter I mix 1 cup each of beer and flour, 3 Tbs of sugar, and 1 tsp of salt. Heat up at least half an inch of oil, dip apples and turn momentary, then place finished fritters onto a paper towel-lined plate and Vuala!!!

Feel free to send your comments about yummy apple recipes you have tried, or that you want to make. Or if you make these fritters, let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails